The XStend Board provides additional support circuitry that the XSA Boards can access through their prototyping interfaces. This circuitry extends the range of applications of the XSA Boards into these new areas:
- The pushbuttons, DIP switches, LEDs, and prototyping area are useful for basic lab experiments.
- The stereo codec and dual-channel analog I/O circuitry are useful for processing audio signals in combination with DSP components synthesized with XILINX's CORE generation software.
- The video decoder allows digitization of NTSC/PAL/SECAM video for image processing applications.
- The 10/100 Ethernet interface lets the XSA Board access TCP/IP and other types of networks.
- The USB 1.1/2.0 interface lets the XSA Board appear as a low-speed or full-speed USB peripheral to a PC.
- The RS-232 interface is useful when the XSA Board needs to send information over a low-speed serial communication link.
- The IDE interface provides the XSA Board with access to a hard disk for data storage and retrieval.
- External modules with new functions can be added through the daughterboard connectors.
- Custom circuitry can be built in the prototyping area.